Friday, July 19, 2019

Anne Bradstreet :: Free Essays

Anne Bradstreet   Ã‚  Ã‚  Ã‚  Ã‚  The poem â€Å" Upon the Burning Of Our House, July 10th, 1666† by Anne Bradstreet is a poem about her house burning down. I can sympathize with many of her feelings in this poem because I shared many of them when my house was robbed. During the beginning of the poem she talks about her belongings that she lost and the things she would never do again, then towards the end she talks about how the incident brought her closer to God. Anne Bradstreet shows how living through a struggle, such as having your house burn down can bring you closer to God.   Ã‚  Ã‚  Ã‚  Ã‚   â€Å"My pleasant things in ashes lie, And them behold no more shall I,† (108), shows the pain I felt in dealing with the loss that I suffered. I lost all of my money, my TV, and my stereo. I knew I would never get the opportunity to recover my lost items. â€Å"And to my God my heart did cry† (107), compares with the emptiness I felt when my family arrived home and saw the back door kicked in. At that point I didn’t want to continue into the house to find what had been taken from me.   Ã‚  Ã‚  Ã‚  Ã‚  The third stanza starts by saying, â€Å"And when I could no longer look, I blest His name that gave and took,† (107). After everything was over she realized that God had given her everything she had lost in the fire, and that she could once again receive those things from God. This relates to me being robbed in the fact that everything I lost was something that was not needed. This helped me to realize that material things aren’t going to make you happy, but the Love of God is. The last line of the play says, â€Å"My hope and treasure lies above.† (108). I believe that Anne Bradstreet became very spiritual after the fire and looked to God for the answer to everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment